A phone number that spells hope for millions of children across India, CHILDLINE is India’s first 24-hour, free, emergency phone service for children in need of aid and assistance. Whether you are a concerned adult or a child, you can dial 1098, the toll free number to access our services. We not only respond to the emergency needs of children but also link them to services for their long-term care and rehabilitation. We have, till date, reached out to over three million children across the nation through such calls.
CHILDLINE is a platform bringing together the Ministry of Women & Child Development, Government of India, Department of Telecommunications, street and community youth, non-profit organisations, academic institutions, the corporate sector and concerned individuals.
We work for the protection of the rights of all children in general. But our special focus is on all children in need of care and protection, especially the more vulnerable sections, which include:
- Street children and youth living alone on the streets.
- Child labourers working in the unorganised and organized sectors.
- Domestic help, especially girl domestics.
- Children affected by physical / sexual / emotional abuse in family, schools or institutions.
- Children who need emotional support and guidance.
- Children of commercial sex workers
- Child victims of the flesh trade
- Victims of child trafficking
- Children abandoned by parents or guardians
- Missing children.
- Run away children.
- Children who are victims of substance abuse
- Differently-abled children
- Children in conflict with the law
- Children in institutions
- Mentally challenged children
- HIV/ AIDS infected children
- Children affected by conflict and disaster
- Child political refugees
- Children whose families are in crises
- To reach out to every child in need of care and protection by responding to emergencies on 1098.
- Awareness about CHILDLINE 1098 amongst every Indian child.
- To provide a platform of networking amongst organisations and to provide linkages to support systems that facilitate the rehabilitation of children in need of care and protection.
- To work together with the Allied Systems (Police, Health Care, Juvenile Justice, Transport, Legal, Education, Communication, Media, Political and the Community) to create child friendly systems.
- To advocate services for children that are inaccessible or non existent.
- To create a body of NGOs and Government organisations working within the national framework and policy for children.
- To be a nodal child protection agency in the country, providing child protection services to children in need of care and protection.
- To contribute and work towards strengthening and participating in a global movement that addresses issues related to child protection and ensures that children’s voices are heard.